Radiant Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiant Light

If you like to roleplay, love to write, and adore sharing your knowledge about the arts, this is where you should be.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kat

Kat

An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Empty
PostSubject: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 am

If anyone thinks of a title, let me know! I need one! xD

Prologue-

Laughing, two girls ran down from the dune, long, dark hair spilling out behind them.
The first stopped suddenly and pulled a large, gray thing out from behind a rock.
"Are you coming, Nara?" Her musical voice echoed over the beach.
"You go ahead, I'll meet you in the water." The second girl, Nara, turned her back, looking up at the gray, nearly-dawn sky. Something splashed gently into the ocean. Walking slowly, Nara dragged her bare feet through the sand. Pausing by a tide pool, she lifted up several large rocks- to reveal nothing but bare, damp sand.
She froze. How could it be gone? She had put it right there, and unless someone took it- fear knotted in her throat, her whole body went rigid.
There was a loud sound behind Nara, almost like- someone clearing his throat. "Looking for something?" A deep voice boomed behind her. She spun around, eyes wide. There stood a large man in a sandy wool coat, with eyes and hair so dark they cast his face in shadows. The man held, in one beefy hand, what looked like a seal skin, glinting silver in the beam of his flashlight.
"No!" Nara screamed, but the man dropped the skin and grabbed her arms, pulling her closer. She kicked, but he was too strong. Raising one arm, he hit her on the back of her head.
Nara's vision got cloudy, the ocean faded before her, as she blacked out.

One-

"Two years. I've been gone two years." Nara knelt by the filthy window in her small attic bedroom, staring out longingly at the ocean, straining to hear the comforting sound of waves crashing on the near-by shore. Standing up, and ducking her head so she didn't hit it on the impossibly low ceiling, she walked over to her mattress and lay down, burying her face in the pillow. She was so tired. Nara's whole body ached, she missed her family, her friends, and her people. A few minutes later she was asleep, tired of crying yet again for the life she'd lost.

Sam stared hard out the window of his mom's car at the tiny beach town they were moving to. He understood why. His mom was an artist. She need inspiration, and the rent on their little house was much cheaper than their old apartment. But he still resented it. He frowned.
"Cheer up, Sam! You'll get your first look at the ocean soon!" She sounded so cheerful.
"You said I'd seen it before." He said despondently.
"Not since you were a baby, Honey. Be positive!"
"Yah, yah, mom. I got it. Be happy." He drummed his fingers on the arm rest. The beat-up Honda Accord jerked to a stop in front of a little cottage.
"This is it!" Sam's mom jumped out and opened his door. He stared up in surprise. The little place was dirty looking, and the whole front yard was sand.
"Gee, mom, it looks great," He said sarcastically. She sighed.
"Sam, just get your stuff out of the trunk. You haven't even seen the inside yet!" He groaned, but grabbed his bag and trudged inside. The rough-looking wooden floor had little piles of sand on it, and the pea-green walls sported pieces of driftwood as decoration. A moldy looking couch faced an ancient TV. The bathroom had a tiny shower and a yellow toilet. The kitchen appliances were old, and there was no microwave.
"Yah, it's great in here!" He plopped down at the kitchen table.
"Okay, fine, it's not the best place in the world. But go look at the bedrooms. Please, Sam? You said you would give this a try." His mom put a hand on his shoulder, and Sam looked up at her face. She was pretty, and still young, she'd been eighteen when he was born, but she looked tired and worn out, from too much stress. He sighed.
"Okay, Mom. I'll go look." She beamed. "But only because you said please." He stood up, flashed her a cheesy smile, and went to look in the last two rooms.
"Try the one on the left, Sweetie!"
Sam opened the door slowly, as if it might brake.
The walls were light blue, with white trim. There was a king-sized bed, with white sheets, and a desk that held a dark blue lamp. The floor was covered in a striped rug, and another TV rested on a bookshelf. The room was clean, at least. But, he missed all those things. Sam was transfixed by the huge bay windows that took up a whole wall. The view was what caught him- the ocean, right there, past a small stretch of sand.
The waters, a sparkling blue-green were high today, and clean, after a long rain, and the sky was cloudless. "Wow."
"See, Sam, it's not that bad!" His mom had come in behind him. "What to do you think of the ocean, Honey?"
"It's... it's... awesome!" He smiled for real, and she hugged him excitedly.
"See! What did I tell you!" Mrs. McDowell began looking around the rest of the room. "You're on TV too, and there's not even any sand on the floor.." She glanced up and noticed Sam, still staring out the window. "Tell you what? I'm gonna go take a short nap. If you unpack your stuff while I'm sleeping, I'll take you down to the beach. This place came with a boat, you know! I bet I'd still remember how to work one, from when I was a kid."
Sam nodded. "Sure!"

Half an hour later he was standing in the yard, wearing his new bathing suit, ankle deep in sand. "Come on, Mom, wake up now," Sam whispered to himself, kicking up clouds of pale yellow dust. The screen door of the large house next to his slammed shut, and someone walked out, carrying a bag of trash, which they dumped in a can and then turned to walk away.
It was a girl, with skin as white as paper, long hair and eyes as dark as coal. Even though she wore a baggy, black t-shirt that hung down to her mid-thighs, and a torn-up pair of shorts, Sam almost gasped out loud, she was so beautiful. Almost like a ghost, or a painting, she looked too thin and delicate to be real, much less carrying a trash bag. Leaning against their rickety fence, Sam waved casually, trying to impress her.
"Hey." The girl look up, startled, and whirled around, saying nothing, her lips pressed together. "Um... I just moved in here today." She nodded slowly. "I'm Sam." He continued, smiling.
"Um... hi." The girl eyed him warily, took a step backwards, away from the fence.
"You are...?" She frowned for a minute.
"Nara." She said softly, after a while.
"Cool name. How old are you? I'm fourteen." Sam said, still trying to start a conversation with the intriuging, though shy, girl.
"Oh... I am too." He grinned, she smiled slowly back. "Oh... welcome, I guess." She sounded less guarded, now, she took one small step closer.
"Thanks." Nara's long, silky black hair fell forward into her face, she didn't bother to brush it away. She looked thoughtfull, watching Sam.
"Do you go to the high school here?"
"Well, oh... um... I..." She stuttered, blinking. Just then, a loud voice interrupted her, coming from her house.
"Nara! What's taking you so long, girl?!" A large, dark man came to the door. "Get in here, now!" He scowled at Sam, and Nara seemed to snap backwards, towards the house.
"So... I'll see you later!" He nearly shouted, leaning even further into her yard. She disappeared into the house. "Well, that was weird," Sam said to himself, going inside his own home, though, for some reason, he felt slightly let down.

That night, he thought again about the beautifully strange girl- Nara. Lying on his new, slightly sandy bed with the lights off, Sam couldn't help but remember the fear in her eyes when the man caught her talking to someone.

Two-

The man, Morgan, grabbed Nara's arm. "What. Did. You. Say. To. Him." He hissed through closed teeth. She winced.
"Nothing. I said... I said hello." Shaking, she pulled herself away, againts a wall.
"Fine. But you better watch it, girl." Morgan stormed up the creaky stairs. "Oh- bring me some new chalk and 'Harmen's Guide To Charms IV from the front table." Nara groanded inwardly, then practically dragged the heavy book and a fresh case of chalk up the stairs to Morgan's office. A large space had beencleared on the bare floor, and the black curtians on the windows were drawn. "Yes, that's the one." He snatched the things from her arms.
Nara stood in a corner, unsure if she could leave. Biting her lip, she watched as he traced a circle on the floor, inter-weaving what looked like tiny writing in it, following a pattern from the book. "Um..."
Morgan jerked his large head up. "I'm making a healing pentacle, if you must know. For an experiment. Now shut up."
"But I..." Nara motioined towards the door.
"Yes, fine, leave for a while." A thoughtfull look passed over his face. "But- don't go in the water!" Morgan cackled as her mouth fell open. "Oh, that's right! You can'! Not as long as I have your stupid skin. Go, already. I need absolute silence." She ran, bare feet pounding, out of the house, down the worn-out street.
Nara collapsed, finally, on the ridge of a huge sand dune, over-looking the ocean. She breathed deepily. That man-the magician, Morgan- he didn't need her for anything more than to clean his dusty old house and cook him meals, something any half-witted mortal could have done. And to bring him books, for his mis-guided experiments, as he called them.
Experiments. Nara almost laughed- almost. A stupid human, trying to control the anceint magics, for his own wiles, for amusment, even. There was a bitter taste in her mouth as she watched the waves, but not being able to go any closer.
She winced as the puttering of a moto-boat disrupted the perfection of nature. It slowed, nearing the beach, and the two people jumped out into the water, to drag the thing to land.
Something tristed in the pit of her stomach, the man calling her back. He was done.
Againts her will, she stood up, turned around.
A sudden wind knocked up sand around her, blew Nara's hair sideways. She broke into a run.

More will be added later! =)

----------

Yes, this is a selkie story. xD

In case you didn't know:

- Selkies are mythical beings, who can shift into a seal, simply by putting on the "magical" seal skin they're born with. On land, they're exceptionally beautiful humans, with dark hair and eyes.

- When selkies shed their skins to come on land, they have to hind their skin, becuase if someone manages to steal a selkie's skin the selkie can not return to the water, and must serve the owner of their skin as a slave until they can get their skins back.

- Selkies age the same as humans, though most live to be at least one hundred.

- If a selkie and a human fall in love and have children, the children will be a selkie too, though they may have lighter hair and eyes.

- The selkies live under water, as seals are their "natural" form.

Last edited by Kat on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Akeria
Admin
Akeria

Location : On the center of a stage, staring out into the audience.

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 7:44 am

Oh! I like this a lot, and congrats on being the first member to actually post! Besides me, that is. XD I really like this story, very interesting. Different, you know? Good job! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://akeriasharing.board-directory.net
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Aw, thanks! I really didn't think it was that good, just something I wanted to do for fun. I've always loved selkies.
Back to top Go down
Akeria
Admin
Akeria

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 2:36 pm

I didn't even know what it was until you said something at the end. They sound kind of cool.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:03 pm

xD Glad to have introduced you to them, then. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:24 pm

Cool Story! Very Nice, Write Some more!
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks, and I will. I may not get a whole chapter in though, I have to go practice my guitar soon. xD
Back to top Go down
warmblood12211

warmblood12211

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:18 am

Nice story, I liked how you decribed the girl's hair as they were running Smile Keep writing!
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks!

I love your av, I have some glasses just like that, but in purple. I've never put them on my dog. xD
Back to top Go down
Akeria
Admin
Akeria

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 8:27 am

Psssssssssssst! Write some more! Very Happy Thanks! Lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )   An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing ) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An Untitled, Original Story. ( In Writing )
Page 1 of 1